Monday, September 28, 2009

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

Blend 1 cup dry oatmeal in a blender or food processor. If using a blender add a 1/4 or 1/2 cup at a time. To make single serving packets, place 2 Tblsps of oatmeal powder and 1/4 cup of oatmeal flakes in a ziplock bag. To serve place oatmeal in bowl add about 1/2 cup boiling water & stir. I place a small plate over it and let it set a little bit before eating. You can put oatmeal powder in a jar and add the flakes when you make it. Variation: add raisins, dried fruit and cinnamon and sugar to packet or when you make it. One of my dear sister-in-laws gave this recipe to me years ago. PS. Month of Dec 2009, I decided to just add a 1/3 cup of oatmeal to a small bowl and add raisins, cinnamon and hot water. I usually just put a small plate over it and let it set till the oatmeal absorbs the water. I am just using this lid so you can see the bowl. See the steam? Not sure if there is a benefit to cooking it for 5 minutes but if you are in a hurry and don't want to dirty a pan. I use a tea kettle to boil water. Oatmeal here that I am using is thick cut.